Skip to main content

bits by betty

  • By Betty Mann, president, Rock County Historical Society
    September 15, 2020
    The following appeared in The Rose History in 1911.   Rock County Village continued from 9-10-20 edition of the Star Herald.   Beaver Creek          For a few months the youthful village was the terminus of the railroad and it at once came into prominence as one of the most lively communities in this part of the state. Being the end of the railroad, it became the distributing point for the…
  • By Betty Mann, president, Rock County Historical Society
    September 08, 2020
    The following appeared in The Rose History in 1911.   Rock County Village continued from 9-3-20 edition of the Star Herald.   Beaver Creek          Hardly had the location of the site been announced in September when preparations were made by several persons to engage in business in the prospective town. Colonel Harrison White, who was destined to play such an important part in the history of the…
  • By Betty Mann, president, Rock County Historical Society
    September 01, 2020
    The following appeared in The Rose History in 1911.   Rock County Village continued from 8-27-20 edition of the Star Herald.   Beaver Creek          On the banks of the “roaring” Beaver creek, eight and one-half miles southwest of the capital city of Rock county, is the little village of Beaver Creek, a village which has played an important part in the history of Rock county. Excepting Luverne,…
  • By Betty Mann, president, Rock County Historical Society
    August 25, 2020
    The following appeared in The Rose History in 1911.   Rock County Village continued from 8-20-20 edition of the Star Herald.   Hardwick The Lodges          Four lodges have active organizations in Hardwick, the Modern Woodmen of America, Royal Neighbors of America, Odd Fellows and Rebekahs.          The oldest of these is Hardwick Camp No. 3851, M. W. A. It was instituted May 11, 1896, by M. H.…
  • By Betty Mann, president, Rock County Historical Society
    August 18, 2020
    The following appeared in The Rose History in 1911.   Rock County Village, continued from 8-13-20 edition of the Star Herald.   Hardwick          With the prosperous times in the country a decade ago, Hardwick kept pace and made rapid strides forward. The town’s second railroad — the branch from Worthington — was completed in 1900. The federal census of that year gave the village a population of…
  • By Betty Mann, president, Rock County Historical Society
    August 11, 2020
    The following appeared in The Rose History in 1911.   Rock County Village continued from 8-6-20 edition of the Star Herald.   Hardwick          Hardwick became a municipal corporation in 1898. So early in its history as 1893, however, the first attempt to bring about this desired condition was made. On July 20, 1893, a petition was presented to the board of county commissioners, asking it to take…
  • By Betty Mann, president, Rock County Historical Society
    August 04, 2020
    The following appeared in The Rose History in 1911.   Rock County Village continued from 7-30-20 edition of the Star Herald.   Hardwick          At the close of the year 1892 we find that there were in the new town three general stores, one hotel, one lumber yard, one fuel yard, two grain warehouses, two blacksmith shops, one saloon and one livery stable. Within the year Hardwick had developed…
  • By Betty Mann, president, Rock County Historical Society
    July 28, 2020
    The following appeared in The Rose History in 1911.   Rock County Village continued from 7-23-20 edition of the Star Herald.   Hardwick          There was practically no change at the station during the next few years. Otter Otterson continued buying grain for E. A. Brown, and later John Otterson bought for the Iowa, Minnesota & Dakota Grain company, which succeeded Cudahy & Butler. In…
  • By Betty Mann, president, Rock County Historical Society
    July 21, 2020
    The following appeared in The Rose History in 1911.   Rock County Village continued from 7-16-20 edition of the Star Herald.   Hardwick          According to the last census figures, Hardwick ranks third in size among Rock county villages. It is a compactly built, neat appearing, prosperous little municipality located nine miles north of the county seat, at the junction of two lines of the Rock…
  • By Betty Mann, president, Rock County Historical Society
    July 14, 2020
    The following appeared in The Rose History in 1911.   Rock County Village of Hills continued from 7-09-20 edition of the Star Herald.   The Churches — Hills has three active church organizations, the Immanuel Norwegian Evangelical Union (Synod), the United Norwegian Lutheran and the Trinity Norwegian Lutheran Free. For many years the Presbyterian society also maintained an organization, and the…
  • By Betty Mann, president, Rock County Historical Society
    July 07, 2020
    The following appeared in The Rose History in 1911.   Rock County Village of Hills continued from 7-02-20 edition of the Star Herald.            Since Hills has become an incorporated town, its growth has been steady. Over $30,000 were expended on building improvements in 1904. The state census of 1905 gave the town a population of 320. In 1908 the building improvements footed up over $15,000 and…
  • By Betty Mann, president, Rock County Historical Society
    June 30, 2020
    The following appeared in The Rose History in 1911.   Rock County Village of Hills, continued from 6-25-20 edition of the Star Herald.   Hills became an incorporated municipality in 1904. It had a population to warrant taking the step ten years before, but the fear of many of the residents that incorporation would result in the licensing of saloons precluded taking any action at that time. In the…
  • By Betty Mann, president, Rock County Historical Society
    June 23, 2020
    The following appeared in The Rose History in 1911.   Rock County Village of continued from 6-18-20 edition of the Star Herald.   The next item we have to consider in the history of Hills was also an important one — no less than the removal of the entire business section of the town. The village was originally located three blocks west of the present location, on low ground. In 1893 F. C. Finke…
  • By Betty Mann, president, Rock County Historical Society
    June 16, 2020
    The following appeared in The Rose History in 1911.   Rock County Village of continued from 6-11-20 edition of the Star Herald.   The growth of Hills during 1892 was substantial and its permanency was assured. It distanced some of the neighboring villages and boasted a larger growth than its rivals.9 Among the new enterprises of the year were the town’s first hotel by T. O. Strandness, a bank…
  • By Betty Mann, president, Rock County Historical Society
    June 09, 2020
    The following appeared in The Rose History in 1911.   Rock County Village of Hills, continued from 6-4-20 edition of the Star Herald.            In April the store building of Jacobson & Sexe was moved across the fields from Bruce, and early in May that firm opened a general store one block north of the Thompson store. The same month A. T. Sexe moved his lumber yard from Bruce and installed P…
  • By Betty Mann, president, Rock County Historical Society
    June 02, 2020
    The following appeared in The Rose History in 1911.   Rock County Village of Hills continued from 5-28-20 edition of the Star Herald.          The farmers residing in the vicinity were given the privilege of christening the new town. They chose the name Oslo, but before the site was platted, late in October, it was learned that there was a town of the same name in Marshall county, Minnesota, and…
Subscribe to bits by betty

You must log in to continue reading. Log in or subscribe today.