The following appeared in the Rock County Herald on June 2, 1922:
NEW MASONIC HALL FORMALLY DEDICATED
Handsome New Home of Luverne Masonic Orders Consecrated to Masonic Uses Wednesday
OFFICERS OF MINNESOTA GRAND LODGE OFFICIATE
Many From Adjoining Towns Assemble to Witness Simple but Impressive Ceremonies
With deeply impressive services, Luverne’s handsome new Masonic hall was formally dedicated Wednesday evening, the services being conducted by officers of the Masonic Grand Lodge of Minnesota. The services were witnessed by about two hundred and fifty members of the local Masonic orders and members of Masonic orders of other towns in this section.
John W. Ulrich, worshipful master of Ben Franklin Lodge, No. 114, A. F. & A. M. presided over the exercises and later introduced the various speakers.
The officers of the grand lodge who conducted the services were: Herman Held, Mankato, grand master; D. M. Knowlton, Minneapolis, grand treasurer; John Fishel, St. Paul, grand secretary; Hayden French, Ortonville, grand junior warden; L. F. Pray, Minneapolis, grand senior warden; and G. F. Streater, Winona, grand marshall. These officials were assisted by past worshipful masters of Ben Franklin lodge and other Blue lodges in this vicinity, the worshipful masters by right of office being members of the grand lodge, and by a quartette, composed of Mrs. G. W. Fried, Miss Mary Aldrich, Mr. James Horne and Mr. L. H. Jones, which sang the odes forming a part of the service.
At the close of the services Grand Master Held announced that Mr. Ulrich had been elected an officer of the grand lodge of Minnesota, an honor that is accorded but few as there are only seventeen grand officers in the state, and as the grand lodge was then and there in session he would duly install the new officer. The office to which Mr. Ulrich was elected was grand pursuivant and he was duly installed.
Following these ceremonies, short and appropriate addresses were made by Messers. Held, Knowlton, Fishel, B. H. Timberlake of Minneapolis, and C. O. Wright of this city. Mr. Timberlake is secretary of the Masonic Home association and he devoted his talk largely to explanation of the plans for the proposed state home. Dr. Wright confined his talk to a brief history of the Masonic order in Luverne, in which he brought out that Ben Franklin lodge was organized in January, 1875.
An excellent luncheon was served all present in the dining room on the first floor of the temple following the exercises, and this in turn was followed by dancing.
Among those from out of town in attendance at the exercises were Masons and members of their families from Worthington, Windom, Heron Lake, Adrian, Wilmont, Hills, Beaver Creek and Ashcreek.
Warm praise was voiced by the officers of the grand lodge for the members of the local Masonic orders for the enterprise shown by them in the erection of the handsome and commodious temple, which they declared to be one of the finest in the state outside of the large cities.
Donations to the Rock County Historical Society can be sent to the Rock County Historical Society, P.O. Box 741, Luverne, MN 56156.
Mann welcomes correspondence sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.