Panic ousts Buffalos from playoffs
John Rittenhouse photo
St. Peter's Dylan Robinson hauls in a pass in front of Tri-State's Lucas Gravel during Saturday's Southern Plains Football League Playoff game in Hills.

The inaugural season for the Tri-State Buffalos came to an end Saturday in Hills during the quarterfinal round of the Southern Plains Football League Playoffs.

The fourth-seeded Buffalos squared off against No. 5 St. Peter Panic during the first postseason game in T-S history.

Unfortunately for the Buffalos, they were unable to extend their season.

The Panic threw a pair of long touchdown passes in the first quarter to open a 14-0 lead and went to secure a 20-14 victory, ending T-S 5-3 season.

The Buffalos did trim the difference to seven points (14-7) before the first half was complete and they trailed by six points (20-14) heading into the fourth quarter.

The Buffalos, however, were unable to produce any points with their final two offensive possessions of the game.

St. Peter drew first blood in the game after the Buffalos missed a 20-yard field attempt with 5:03 remaining in the first quarter.

On the second play of the Panic’s ensuing, quarterback Garrett Mensing fired a 65-yard touchdown pass to Ryan Marschall to give the visitors a 7-0 lead.

After the Buffalos were forced to punt as the first quarter progressed, the Mensing-to-Marschall combination clicked for and 81-yard touchdown pass on the first play of St. Peter’s second offensive possession of the game.

The touchdown gave St. Peter a 14-0 cushion with 49 seconds remaining in the opening stanza.

The score remained 14-0 until late in the second quarter, when the T-S defense stopped the Panic on downs at the St. Peter 45-yard line with 1:04 remaining in the first half.

The Buffalos advanced the ball 11 yards before quarterback Jordan Larson fired a 34-yard touchdown pass to Jason Brown to make it a 14-7 game with 24 seconds remaining in the second stanza.

Both teams registered touchdowns with their opening possessions of the second half.

St. Peter moved the ball 63 yards and gained a 20-7 advantage when Mensing scored on a one-yard run at the 5:35 mark of the second quarter.

The Buffalos countered with a 74-yard march ending with a four-yard Larson-to-Carl Janachovsky touchdown pass with eight seconds remaining in the third quarter.

When Javier Jaminez added his second of two extra points, the scoring was complete.

E-mail this
Print this
You must be logged in to post a comment. Click here to log in.
Photos and Videos from the Star-Herald
Post your stories, blogs, photos, videos and events